Athlete of the Month: Lesley Vargas
1) Tell us a little bit about you...
• Age: 30
• Family: two sons, ages 13 and 3
• Profession: Teacher at IDEA Weslaco
• Hobbies/Interests: Currently interests involve becoming a better CrossFit athlete.
• When did you join CrossFit Stamina? I joined CrossFit Stamina in September of 2016.
• Reason for joining? I joined in order to challenge myself physically in order to lose weight.
2) What is your feeling on being selected athlete of the month?
I am honored to have been chosen as Athlete of the Month.
3) What is your favorite workout/CrossFit movement(s)?
My favorite CrossFit workouts are the ones that target a variety of muscles especially cardio WODs.
4) What is your least favorite workout/movement(s)?
My least favorite is burpees but I am getting better at them.
5) What motivated you to start CrossFit?
I was motivated to start CrossFit because I was overweight and the heaviest in my life since the birth of my second son and I wanted to change that before my 30th birthday. I had inconsistently done some running with small results. I’d also tried Insanity but I wasn’t motivated enough to hold myself accountable.
6) What are your current goals? (Short term/long term)
My current short-term goal is to master at least 1 double-under. Long-term this year I hope to master pull-ups.
7) What has been your biggest struggle as an athlete, and how have you overcome that struggle?
The biggest struggle I’ve experienced as an athlete is stepping out of my comfort zone. I have to say that coaches and fellow athletes have helped me to overcome that struggle by encouraging me to try different strategies on mastering the WOD or movement as well as increasing weight for other movements. This has helped me as an athlete because it shows me that they genuinely believe in me and causes me to remove that self-doubt I create in my abilities.
8. What piece of advice would you give to someone interested in joining CrossFit Stamina?
"If you are looking for a place where you can challenge yourself physically as well as looking forward to the change and results it brings, then this is a great place to start."
9) What is the biggest CrossFit myth (in your opinion), and how have you seen it different through your experience here at Stamina?
The biggest CrossFit myth was that it is only for “fit” people. This perspective was quickly changed when I saw the variety of people at my box, myself included.
10) What do you like most about being part of CrossFit Stamina?
What I enjoy most about CrossFit Stamina is the people. Everyone is friendly and encouraging
11) What is your favorite cheat meal(s)?
One of my favorite cheat meals is my mom’s home cooked picadillo tacos with home-made flour tortillas.
12) If you could have one super power, what would that be and why?
If I could have one super power it would be to time travel. I think it would be great to time periods around the globe.
13) What is the best piece of advice you've been given here at Stamina, and how has that advice helped you as an individual?
The best advice I have received would be that the only way to get better is to keep trying. It has helped me as an athlete because wherever my energy and effort are focused there is where I achieve better outcomes.