Athlete of the Month: Priscilla Alaniz
Athlete of the month:
1) Tell us a little bit about you...
• Age: 32
• Family: husband, 2 sons: 8-and 5-years-old
• Profession: Registered nurse case manager
• Hobbies/Interests: I love watching my kids play sports, and getting them involved in different activities. Aside from CrossFit, I also enjoy participating in triathlons.
• When did you join CrossFit Stamina? I joined December 2015. I just reached my
• Reason for joining? A friend (AHEM: Yadi) convinced me to join.
2) What is your feeling on being selected athlete of the month?
I was really surprised I was selected and definitely honored. I think it’s great that CrossFit Stamina (CFS) does this. It makes an average Joe like myself feel kind of special.
3) What is your favorite workout/CrossFit movement(s)?
I can't say I have an absolute favorite movement, but I do know I was most excited when I finally got kipping handstand pushups, pull-ups and rope climbs.
4) What is your least favorite workout/movement(s)?
Hands down- snatches. Ugh, they are just so awkward for me. During my very first CrossFit competition at the Box, I hit my head with the bar on a power snatch...yeah, really embarrassing.
5) What motivated you to start CrossFit?
I needed something in addition to triathlon training that would incorporate lifting and would allow me to push myself and get my heart rate going. We all have our bad training days where we don't "feel like it" but once that music is on full blast, the 10 second countdown starts and the adrenaline gets going, that feeling dissipates...I immediately fell in love with that.
6) What are your current goals? (Short term/long term)
Jan.15: McAllen 1/2 marathon | February: Jalapeño 100 | April: Ironman Texas- I've been training for Ironman Texas, and I have 15 weeks left before race day...this one is my ultimate goal and it scares the crap out of me.
7) What has been your biggest struggle as an athlete, and how have you overcome that struggle?
My biggest struggle has been waking up for 5:00 a.m. workouts! I make it a point to go that early so I can get in a run, swim or bike ride right after CrossFit. I've been doing it for three years now and it has yet to get any easier. #thestruggleisreal.
Another struggle of mine has been trying to find the confidence to perform overhead lifts, but I am working on it.
8. What piece of advice would you give to someone interested in joining CrossFit Stamina?
I would say to be consistent and set goals. Since I use CrossFit as part of my training, I make it a priority to get my workout of the day (WOD) in at least 5-6 days a week. With consistency comes change. The awesome part is that there are always new goals to set in CrossFit. Whether it is to lift more, run faster or master a movement, there is always something to strive for.
9) What is the biggest CrossFit myth (in your opinion), and how have you seen it different through your experience here at Stamina?
Many people think it's balls to the wall intensity, and form is thrown out the window. That is definitely not true. Our coaches are constantly looking out and correcting our form for our own benefit and safety. Everyone works at their own speed, intensity and capability.
10) What do you like most about being part of CrossFit Stamina?
Easy, the camaraderie. Along with getting in an awesome workout you get to make some pretty legit friends while you are at it. We keep each other motivated and support one another.
11) What is your favorite cheat meal(s)?
Cake and Ice-Cream...together, I have a major sweet tooth.
12) If you could have one super power, what would that be and why?
At this point, it would be to fly so I can get to the finish line quicker.
13) What is the best piece of advice you've been given here at Stamina? And how has that advice helped you as an individual?
Recovery is just as essential as the actual workout. Don't ignore your body after the beating, instead give it the proper nutrition to recover and sustain your workouts. Incorporating the right nutrition definitely has increased my endurance and stamina, and just makes me feel better overall.