1) Tell us a little bit about you...
• Age: 46
• Family: Married for 21 years and has two sons
• Profession: By trade I am a respiratory therapist, but am now a stay-at-home-mom
• When did you join CrossFit Stamina? I joined CrossFit Stamina one year ago when I moved to Harlingen.
• Reason for joining: I chose CrossFit Stamina because it seemed to have a nice balance of great coaching and a great community. Both of these things were very important to me after leaving my gym in El Paso.
• How'd you hear about CrossFit Stamina? I came across CrossFit Stamina online after looking for CrossFit gyms in Harlingen.
2) What is your feeling on being selected athlete of the month?
I feel very honored and grateful to be selected as athlete of the month.
3) What is your favorite workout/CrossFit movement(s)?
My favorite CrossFit movements are rope climbs and power cleans.
4) What is your least favorite workout/movement(s)?
My least favorite movements are double-unders (DUs) and thrusters.
5) What motivated you to start CrossFit?
I was motivated to start CrossFit when I turned 40. I was tired of feeling sick all of the time and out of shape. I couldn't run 400m without stopping, or even do one push-up. I noticed a CrossFit class in action at the Dojo facility where my boys were taking Judo classes. I decided that I would give fitness one last shot and signed a year contract sight unseen. My goal was to go for three-months. I HATED it for the first two-months, but after those two-months, I was hooked.
6) What are your current goals? (Short term/long term)
My current goals are to continue getting stronger, and to not let age be a factor in my fitness. I would like to continue doing CrossFit for as long as possible.
7) What has been your biggest struggle as an athlete, and how have you overcome that struggle?
My biggest struggle as an athlete is remaining motivated after hitting plateaus. It's easy to get discouraged, but I just try to stay focused on giving 100% every day. I try to not let my age be a factor. Sometimes I forget that I'm old enough to be my classmates and coach's mother.
8) What piece of advice would you give to someone interested in joining CrossFit Stamina?
CrossFit can be life-changing—both physically and mentally. Anyone at any fitness level can do it, and walking through the door is the most difficult part.
9) What is the biggest CrossFit myth (in your opinion), and how have you seen it different through your experience here at Stamina?
The biggest CrossFit myth is that you will get injured doing CrossFit. The coaches here are very good about explaining each movement and helping each athlete improve their technique. I think this is helpful in injury prevention.
10) What do you like most about being part of CrossFit Stamina?
The best thing about CrossFit Stamina is the camaraderie. It felt like home from the first day I walked in. I was very worried when I moved here that I wouldn't find a good CrossFit box like the one I had back home, but I feel very grateful to have found this here.
11) What is your favorite cheat meal(s)?
My favorite cheat meal is chips and salsa and butter rum milkshakes.
12) If you could have one super power, what would that be and why?
If I could have a super power, it would be to fly like a bird—nothing world changing, but it would be amazing.
13) What is the best piece of advice you've been given here at Stamina? And how has that advice helped you as an individual?
The best piece of advice that I've received here has been the coaching advice to help improve my lifting techniques. The coaches have helped me reach personal records (PRs) that I didn't think were possible.